Total Pageviews

Friday, April 12, 2013

There Was No Intermission

Dearest Friends,

It's almost a year to the day since our production of "Caring For Ailing Parents" began. To me, it seems like a Century. But we are approaching the final act, now. How strange to say that after living the drama for so long.

The most recent scene shows the Martineau Siblings returning to the 'round-the-clock' care-giving schedule.

When you add wine (lots of wine) to feebleness, you get falls.  One of those led Dad to an emergency room visit for a broken hand and bumped head. The severity of these falls, fortunately, is not great, but the frequency is.  Hence, intensified monitoring.  Add to that Dad's mental decline.  Although no one has been able to tell us with any certainty that it is Alzheimers, no one is discounting it, either.

As a family, we have decided that it is time for the professionals to take over.  The paperwork is in progress, and, if all goes according to plan, Dad will be moving into the Veteran's Home in Bristol, RI by the end of the summer. This is good news. Really.  He is agreeable --- each and every time we tell him about it!!!

Soon the old homestead that Dad and Mom purchased nearly 50 years ago will be up for Sale. Clearing it out for that purpose will be a time-consuming task that we are trying to coordinate even as I write this. I am anxious to have it all completed, and yet I am not sure how I will feel once it is.

Where will Our Family gather henceforward?

 'The End of This Era' might prove to be the most difficult scene of the play.

Til later,
xoxoxo, cd
p.s... many thanks and all my love to my darling husband jd.  sorry i missed writing our anniversary postcard on monday.  helluva year, huh?





2 comments:

  1. Goodness. I'm so far behind in my visits to good friends. I'm glad to hear your dad seems to be taking the move well. There is something to be said for being with folks of one's own age, I suppose. God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare:

    I think you might find a visit to my blog today a rewarding experience. It's about a very special painter, a soldier.

    Hope all is going well for you (that is, getting better - you remain in my prayers.)

    ReplyDelete