Total Pageviews

Friday, October 28, 2011

Birthday Mile Marker

Dear Mike,

So there we were, sitting around the kitchen table, playing cards. Dad and Me, Gram and Gramp, Uncle Johnny, Uncle Larry and Auntie Donna.  The younger ones had gone to bed...it was after 10:30pm, a Wednesday night...when the first indication that you were to arrive soon was made known to me.

I was scared/excited. Dad was 'deer-in-the-headlights' scared (that we wouldn't make it to the hospital in time)...and excited, too.  Gram and Gramp were sort of blase about it...they had just been through it for the seventh time less than two years ago.

Uncle Johnny was visiting...he was a submariner stationed at New London at the time and had some weekend leave. To say he was thrilled to be there is rather an understatement.

By Midnight, I was sure that "it was time", so Dad and I made the trip to St. Josephs. It was seasonably mild, somewhere around 55 degrees. Good thing, because I didn't have a winter coat that would button around me! Dad, though nervous, did a great job getting us there safely, and I might add, quickly.  When we arrived, the nurses told him he needn't have rushed, it would be HOURS before you made the scene.

HOURS. 

And it was hours...but only 4 of them from the time I got to my room to the time of your delivery.  Very fast for a first baby! I thank you, still, for that!

The 40 years between then and now passed far too quickly...but the memories will always remain. We thank you now for being a Wonderful Son for each and every one of these years. Would it be too much to ask for (at least) another 40? Then that is my wish today.




HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MICHAEL!!!

We love you, very much!
xoxoxo, Mom and Dad






3 comments:

  1. "Hours" is a bad word when you are having a baby. But you did it Clare. :)
    Happy birthday to son, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Manzi!
    I was very fortunate, with both pregnancies, that all went well and quickly! In addition, we contributed two very fine Men to our society.

    Doesn't get much better than that!

    xoxoxo, c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww now that's sweet. Happy Birthday to your boy.. because they always remain babies in our eyes.

    ReplyDelete